Routenbeschreibung anzeigen

The church is located in the middle of the village of Diemtigen and dominates the villagescape. It’s worth to catch a glimpse oft he inside.

The church, dedicated to St Nicholas and St Catherine, was first mentioned in 1314. It is a Romanesque single-aisle church with a narrower, rectangular chancel, above which is the tower. The present building was completed before the middle of the 15th century. In the 18th century the nave was extended to the west and the concave wooden ceiling was added. The church was restored in 1915, 1956 and 1985.

Inside is a simple wooden pulpit from the 16th century in the Renaissance style, and a late Gothic font bearing the coat of arms of Rector Johann Rudolf Kyburz and his wife Katharina Salome Lupicius.

The murals were created between 1915 and 1917 by the ecclesiastical artist and glass painter Paul Zehnder: on the chancel arch the Ascension of Jesus Christ; on the back wall of the chancel the Garden of Gethsemane. The window near the pulpit features two panes designed by Zehnder and Robert Schär – a likeness of the Good Shepherd and the Archangel Michael – while over the north door is an image of the Sower.

The present organ was built in 2000 by Kuhn Organ Builders, Männedorf ZH. It is the fourth since 1795. The organ case is made of larch and was built by a Diemtigen craftsman.

The bells are tuned to F sharp, A and B, and date from 1629, 1637 and 1973.